Total Eren, Visolar launch 100-MW PV project in Dominican Republic
Solar panels. Author: Chris Baird. License: Creative Commons. Attribution 2.0 Generic
Paris-based independent power producer (IPP) Total Eren said on Thursday that it has started building a 100-MW (AC) solar PV farm in the Dominican Republic alongside a local partner.
In March 2022, Total Eren signed a shareholders agreement to define ownership over the project, called Villarpando. The IPP has a 51% stake in it, while its partner, Dominican entity Visolar Holding SA, holds the remaining 49%, Total Eren said.
The Villarpando project, located in Azua province, will require an investment of around USD 120 million (EUR 121.4m). The plant will operate under a 15-year power purchase agreement (PPA) with Dominican state-owned power distributor Edesur Dominicana SA.
Total Eren expects the solar farm to generate some 200 GWh per year.
Villarpando is the French firm’s first project in the Dominican Republic.
Visolar is an investment vehicle of Caribbean-based financial group JMMB Sustainable Energy Fund FES and Dominican diversified holding Grupo Pais.
Sladjana has significant experience as a Spain-focused business news reporter and is now diving deeper into the global renewable energy industry. She is the person to seek if you need information about Latin American renewables and the Spanish market.