Raizen to supply renewable power to Brazilian retailer Pernambucanas

Solar panels. Author: Patrick Kain. License: Creative Commons, Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic.

September 20 (Renewables Now) - Brazilian integrated power company Raizen SA (BVMF:RAIZ4) has inked a deal to supply renewable power to the 243 stores of local retail giant Pernambucanas.

Raizen said it will deliver 1,953 MWh per year until 2027, which is enough to power a city with around 4,000 citizens. The contracted electricity will be generated from renewable sources such as solar, hydro and biogas.

Subscribe for Renewables Now's Corporate PPA Newsletter here for free!

The clean electricity will power stores in 12 states plus the Federal District and will be distributed by 18 different power concessionaires. Raizen announced the deal will also allow Pernabucanas to offset some 192 tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions.

The integrated power company noted that at present, its portfolio with 2 GW of total capacity accounts for about 5% of Brazil's renewable energy generation. With a share of 70%, biomass represents the largest chunk in Raizen's portfolio. The remaining 30% is divided between solar distributed generation (DG), small hydros and landfills.

More stories to explore
Share this story
Tags
 
About the author
Browse all articles from Lucas Morais

Lucas is based in Brazil. He joined Renewables Now to expand coverage of the Ibero-American market, a highly attractive destination for green energy investment.

More articles by the author
5 / 5 free articles left this month
Get 5 more for free Sign up for Basic subscription
Get full access Sign up for Premium subscription
\