Al Kharsaah solar complex, Qatar. Image by: TotalEnergies.
Qatar is set to inaugurate the Al Kharsaah solar complex with a capacity of 800 MW this month, energy minister and chief executive of QatarEnergy, Saad Al-Kaabi, said during the Energy Intelligence Forum in London.
The solar park will meet 10% of the local electricity demand, Al-Kaabi said as cited by Qatari newspaper Al-Sharq.
Located on an area of over 1,000 ha about 80 km (49.7 miles) west of the capital Doha, Al Kharsaah is the first utility-scale solar park in Qatar. The facility is equipped with 2 million bifacial solar modules with trackers.
The project was awarded to a consortium of Japan’s Marubeni Corp and French energy major TotalEnergies in the country’s first solar tender.
The Marubeni-TotalEnergies tie-up now jointly owns 40% of the solar complex, while the remaining 60% is held by Siraj Energy, a joint venture between Qatari state-owned entities Qatar General Electricity & Water Corporation (Kahramaa) and Qatar Petroleum.
Anna is a DACH expert when it comes to covering business news and spotting trends. She has also built a deep understanding of Middle Eastern markets and has helped expand Renewables Now's reach into this hot region.