•  
  •  
  •  

EDF EN switches on 350 MW of wind, solar plants in Brazil

Wind farm in Brazil. Author: Otávio Nogueira. License: Creative Commons, Attribution 2.0 Generic.

November 9 (Renewables Now) - EDF Energies Nouvelles (EDF EN) announced on Wednesday the completion of 350 MW of wind and solar projects in Brazil.

The 284-MWp Pirapora photovoltaic (PV) complex in Minas Gerais and the 66-MW Ventos da Bahia wind farm in Bahia were recently commissioned via local subsidiary EDF EN do Brasil.

In all, the Pirapora complex has a full capacity of 400 MWp, but only two of is three stages are up and running. Scheduled for full completion in the second half of 2018, the Pirapora project is expected to generate enough power to meet the annual demand of 420,000 Brazilian homes.

EDF EN holds 80% in Pirapora, while the other 20% are owned by Canadian Solar Inc (NASDAQ:CSIQ).

The 66-MW wind farm, on the other hand, is part of a complex with 800 MW of total planned capacity. Ventos da Bahia’s 22 wind turbines generate the equivalent of the annual power consumption of 160,000 local houses.

EDF Energies Nouvelles took an 80% stake in the wind project from German developer Sowitec, which is keeping a 20% interest.

More stories to explore
Share this story
Tags
About the author
Browse all articles from Lucas Morais

Lucas is based in Brazil. He joined Renewables Now to expand coverage of the Ibero-American market, a highly attractive destination for green energy investment.

More articles by the author
5 / 5 free articles left this month
Get 5 more for free Sign up for Basic subscription
Get full access Sign up for Premium subscription