September 28 (Renewables Now) - UAE-based cable manufacturer Ducab Group has won an order to supply and install 400-kV cables and accessories for the 2-GW Al Dhafra solar plant in Abu Dhabi which is currently under construction.
The cables will connect the world's largest solar park with the main transmission grid in the emirate.
The order includes also testing and commissioning of the equipment, Ducab said at the Wetex Dubai exhibition on Tuesday.
This is the third contract for a large-scale solar project awarded to Ducab in the UAE. The company supplied cables also for the 100-MW Shams photovoltaic plant in Abu Dhabi, which has been in operation since 2013, and for Dubai's flagship project Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum.
The Al Dhafra project is 60% owned by a consortium of TAQA and Masdar, while the remaining 40% is held by EDF (EPA:EDF) and JinkoPower. Located 35 km from Abu Dhabi city, the solar park will be equipped with bifacial solar technology and will supply power to the Emirates Water and Electricity Company (EWEC). Once operational, the 3.5 million solar panels are expected to generate enough electricity for about 160,000 homes across the UAE.
Anna is a DACH expert when it comes to covering business news and spotting trends. She has also built a deep understanding of Middle Eastern markets and has helped expand Renewables Now's reach into this hot region.