•  
  •  
  •  

UPDATE - SolarReserve ditches 2-GW CSP project in Nevada

Nevada Crescent Dunes photo by BLM Nevada. Author: Bureau of Land Management.

April 18 (Renewables Now) - The federal permit application for the up to 2-GW Sandstone project, which was to be the world's largest concentrating solar power (CSP) complex, has been withdrawn, the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) confirmed for Renewables Now.

According to the agency, California-based SolarReserve LLC has pulled back plans for the project on January 31, 2019. Reasons for the move were not provided.

The Sandstone project, which was to be realised on public land in the Nevada desert with an investment of about USD 5 billion (EUR 4.4bn), was planned to include up to 10 solar thermal towers, each with a capacity of 150 MW-200 MW. When announcing plans for the scheme back in 2016, SolarReseve said it would use molten salt for energy storage at each site. The complex was expected to generate 7 million MWh of electricity annually and have 20,000 MWh of storage capacity.

Earlier this month, solar thermal power specialist  SolarReserve said it has failed to secure in time funds for its 150-MW Aurora CSP project near Port Augusta, South Australia. It now plans to sell it to a third party.

(USD 1.0 = EUR 0.883)

More stories to explore
Share this story
Tags
 
About the author
Browse all articles from Veselina Petrova

Veselina Petrova is one of Renewables Now's most experienced green energy writers. For several years she has been keeping track of game-changing events both large and small projects and across the globe.

More articles by the author
5 / 5 free articles left this month
Get 5 more for free Sign up for Basic subscription
Get full access Sign up for Premium subscription