Masdar inks agreement for 200-MW Armenian solar project

Image by Masdar (

November 26 (Renewables Now) - Abu Dhabi’s renewable energy company Masdar on Friday said it has signed an agreement with the government of Armenia to develop the 200-MW Ayg-1 solar photovoltaic (PV) project.

The signing of the government support agreement (GSA) in Yeravan today comes after in July Masdar won a tender for the project with a bid of USD 0.0290 (EUR 0.026) per kWh.

Ayg-1, which will be the country’s largest solar plant, will be developed on a design, finance, build, own and operate (DFBOO) basis. Masdar will own 85% of the project company, while the remaining 15% will be held by the Armenian National Interests Fund (ANIF).

The solar park will be built between the Talin and Dashtadem communities on over 500 hectares (1,235 acres) of land unsuitable for agricultural use.

The project supports Armenia’s aim to increase the share of renewables in its energy mix and lower its reliance on imported oil and gas, while making use of its solar energy potential.

(USD 1 = EUR 0.886)

Join Renewables Now's free daily newsletter now!

More stories to explore
Share this story
About the author
Browse all articles from Plamena Tisheva

Plamena has been a UK-focused reporter for many years. As part of the Renewables Now team she is taking a keen interest in policy moves.

More articles by the author
5 / 5 free articles left this month
Get 5 more for free Sign up for Basic subscription
Get full access Sign up for Premium subscription