•  
  •  
  •  

Light Energia, Cemig eye buyout of Brazil's Renova

Wind farm in Rio Grande do Sul. Author: Alexandre Pereira. License: Creative Commons, Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic

March 22 (Renewables Now) - Brazilian energy company Light SA (BVMF:LIGT3) approved on Thursday the purchase of a stake in local renewables developer Renova Energia SA (BVMF:RNEW11) alongside Cemig SA (BVMF:CMIG4).

More specifically, Light's subsidiary Light Energia and Cemig GT will buy 7,282,036 shares issued by Renova that are currently owned by CGI Fundo de Investimento em Participacoes.

According to a regulatory filing, Cemig GT will take 67.85% of the shares currently held by CGI while Light Energia will acquire the remaining 32.15%. In exchange, CGI will receive debt securities held by both companies corresponding to BRL 14.68 (USD 3.78/EUR 3.34) for each share issued by Renova.

The deal is subject to certain approvals. Light also announced a plan for a public offer targeting the remaining outstanding shares of Renova, conditioned to the close of this transaction.

The same day, Renova approved a new acquisition proposal made by local firm AES Tiete Energia SA for the 400-MW Alto Sertao III wind farm.

(BRL 1 = USD 0.26/EUR 0.23)

More stories to explore
Share this story
Tags
 
About the author
Browse all articles from Lucas Morais

Lucas is based in Brazil. He joined Renewables Now to expand coverage of the Ibero-American market, a highly attractive destination for green energy investment.

More articles by the author
5 / 5 free articles left this month
Get 5 more for free Sign up for Basic subscription
Get full access Sign up for Premium subscription