German municipal utilities Stadtwerke Muenchen (SWM) and Stadtwerke Augsburg (SWA) are planning to build a 100 MWp solar park on the island of Ruegen in the Baltic Sea which is expected to supply green electricity to some 40,000 households from 2025 on.
The solar modules will be installed in the municipality of Dreschvitz about 20 km (12.43 mi) northeast of the coastal city of Stralsund on an area of some 100 hectares owned by the Hessing Foundation, SWM said on Tuesday.
Construction work on the project is scheduled to begin in 2024 with commissioning planned for the spring or summer of 2025.
The facility will be built on arable land with poor soil quality and the partners will seek to combine the construction of the ground-mounted photovoltaic (PV) system with measures that enable nature to regain lost habitats and revive the regional flora and fauna.
The project will be implemented without state subsidies. SWM owns 70% of it, with SWA holding the remaining 30%.
SWM already operates more than 70 green power plants and further projects are being either planned or under construction. However, the green electricity generated regionally is not enough to meet Munich's needs and that is why projects like this one are important to the municipal utility, its managing director in charge of technology, Helge-Uve Braun, said.
Choose your newsletter by Renewables Now. Join for free!