GDF Suez opens Rodenhuize biomass plant in Belgium
Sep 26, 2011 - French utility GDF Suez (EPA:GSZ) inaugurated on Friday the Rodenhuize biomass power station in Belgium, jointly with its subsidiary Electrabel.
The company allocated EUR 125 million (USD 168m) to transform the coal-fired unit at the Rodenhuize power station into a 100% biomass unit.
The biomass plant has an output of 180 MW and generates electricity equal to the annual consumption of 320,000 households. Moreover, it will reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 1.2 million tonnes annually.
The plant is jointly owned by Electrabel, which holds 73%, and Ackermans & van Haaren (EBR:ACKB), owning the remaining 27%.
In the Rodenhuize biomass unit, coal has been fully replaced by wood pellets that are certified to be of sustainable origin.
According to Sophie Dutordoir, general manager of Electrabel, the current project is a major contribution to the achievement of the goals set by the European Union.
Meanwhile, GDF Suez continues its foray into the biomass sector. The company is currently building a 190 MW power plant in Polaniec, Poland, to be commissioned at the end of 2012.