Construction starts on 35-MW waste-to-energy plant in UAE - report

Author: Suez Environment. License: All rights reserved.

Sep 26 (Renewables Now) - Waste management company Bee'ah and Abu Dhabi-based Masdar have kicked off construction of a 35-MW waste-to-energy facility in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Thomson Reuters Projects said this weekend.

The waste-to-power plant at Sharjah is the first phase of a project being developed by Emirates Waste to Energy Company (EWEC), a joint venture between Bee'ah and renewable energy company Masdar. The partners in July selected French equipment manufacturer and industrial contractor CNIM to design, build and operate the 35-MW facility.

The plant, which will be the first of its kind in the UAE and the Gulf region, will be situated within Bee’ah’s existing waste management centre and will treat more than 300,000 tonnes of municipal solid waste per year. The partners aim to complete construction in about 30 months and work on other phases of the project afterwards, Bee’ah’s CEO Khaled Eisa Al Huraimel told Thomson Reuters Projects last week.

With the project, Sharjah will be able to divert all of its waste from landfill. Bee’ah currently treats 70% of the city’s waste and will divert the remaining 30% through the scheme by 2020, Al Huraimel added.

Following comletion, the 35-MW waste-to-energy plant will sell the electricity it produces to Sharjah Electricity & Water Authority (SEWA).

More stories to explore
Share this story
About the author
Browse all articles from Veselina Petrova

Veselina Petrova is one of SeeNews Renewables most experienced green energy writers. For several years she has been keeping track of game-changing events both large and small projects and across the globe.

More articles by the author
5 / 5 free articles left this month
Get 5 more for free Sign up for Basic subscription
Get full access Sign up for Premium subscription