Wind park in Brazil. Author: Fotos GOVBA. License: Creative Commons, Attribution 2.0 Generic
Brazil has given the go-ahead to 100.8 MW of wind farms to commence operations in July, power sector regulator Aneel announced on Monday.
In all, the country added 119.97 MW of new capacity last month, with wind parks accounting for 84% of that. Small hydro plants (PCHs) and fossil fuels contributed the remaining 16%.
As a result of the new additions, Brazil connected 3,123.38 MW in the first seven months of the year, the agency pointed out. Wind parks now account for 9.14% of the country's total installed capacity, while solar represents 1.68%.
According to data from the power sector watchdog, large hydro (UHE), PCHs and mini hydro (CGH) represent 58.97%, 3.07% and 0.46% of the total installed capacity, respectively.
Brazil has now reached an installed capacity of 172,744 MW of authorised power of which 82.79% comes from renewable sources, Aneel noted.