BCPG to invest in 600-MW wind project in Laos - report
Wind turbines at work. Author: Nick Cross. License: Creative Commons, Attribution-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic.
July 29 (Renewables Now) - Thai renewable energy group BCPG Pcl (BKK:BCPG) plans to invest in a 600-MW wind project in Laos that would be the largest such facility in the ASEAN.
The renewable energy arm of Bangchak Corporation Pcl (BKK:BCP) is acquiring, through its unit Impact Energy Asia Development Co, a 45% stake in the Swan wind project, thus leaving a controlling interest of 55% to Impact Electrons Siam, according to a report by The Bangkok Post that quotes BCPG’s president and CEO Bundit Sapianchai.
BCPG expects to invest about USD 840 million (EUR 714m) in the wind project, which is to be executed near the Mekong River across Ubon Ratchathani. Construction work should begin after a power purchase agreement (PPA) is signed with state-run Electricity Vietnam (EVN) in October. Completion is planned for 2023.
The executive has added that BCPG is also working on the purchase of an up-to-200-MW solar plant that is currently under construction. The total cost of that project is estimated at between USD 100 million and USD 200 million.