Abengoa, Itochu wrap up 100 MW of CSP plants in Spain
Dec 6, 2012 - Spanish renewables and engineering group Abengoa (MCE:ABG) yesterday said it had inaugurated the first 100 MW of its 200-MW Extremadura concentrated solar power (CSP) complex in Spain, jointly developed with Japan's Itochu Corp (TYO:8001).
The complex is situated in Logrosan, the western province of Caceres. It is to be completed next year. The Japanese firm holds 30% in the joint projects, while Abengoa has control over the remaining 70% shareholding and will be responsible for the operation and maintenance of the facilities.
The first phase consists of two identical 50 MW plants. Utilising parabolic trough technology, the plants will produce enough power to meet the needs of 52,000 homes and reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 63,000 tonnes a year. Over 1,300 people were employed during the construction phase and another 91 permanent jobs were created for the operation and maintenance of the units, Abengoa said.
At present, the Spanish company operates 743 MW of CSP plants and has 910 MW under development.
Veselina Petrova is one of Renewables Now's most experienced green energy writers. For several years she has been keeping track of game-changing events both large and small projects and across the globe.