Sumitomo Forestry unveils 50-MW biomass project in Japan
Oct 23, 2013 - Japanese firm Sumitomo Forestry Co (TYO:1911) said today it would build a 50-MW biomass plant in Hokkaido in partnership with Sumitomo Joint Electric Power Co.
The companies say they will spend JPY 15 billion (USD 154m/EUR 112m) on the project, confirming a Nikkei report from May.
The investment will be allocated for the construction of a biomass facility in Monbetsu city and a plant for the production of wood chips for the power generation plant. The biomass facility will be constructed by Monbetsu Biomass Power Co -- a joint venture in which Sumitomo Forestry will own a 51% stake, while Sumitomo Joint Electric will hold the remaining 49%. The wood chips production facility will be installed by another joint venture of the two firms -- Okhotsk Bio-Energy Corp.
Building works are scheduled to begin in September 2014, with commercial operations planned to kick off in December 2016.
Veselina Petrova is one of Renewables Now's most experienced green energy writers. For several years she has been keeping track of game-changing events both large and small projects and across the globe.