Semco Maritime A/S said on Thursday it will carry out an engineering study for Northland Power Inc’s (TSE:NPI) planned Hai Long offshore wind projects in Taiwanese waters that are expected to have a combined capacity of 1,044 MW.
The Danish project engineering company will conduct the study with local partners. Its scope comprises optimisation of the electrical infrastructure hereunder electrical grid studies, assessment of several offshore substations, sub-sea cable characteristics, design of preliminary offshore substation substructure, as well as topside and onshore substation layout.
Semco Maritime has already initiated the study and expects to conclude it by June 2018.
Canada's Northland Power and its local partner Yushan Energy Co Ltd plan to build wind parks at two sites off the shore of Changhua County as part of this project. The pair hired financial advisers in February. The Canadian company has a 60% stake in the projects, while Yushan Energy owns the remaining 40%.
Tommy Flindt, director technology at Semco Maritime, commented that the company should blend its offshore wind experience with the local engineering capabilities in order to achieve initial key to success in the Taiwanese offshore wind industry.
“We believe there could be an opportunity to work closer together beyond the scope of this study,” in turn said Tsung-Hua Chen, CEO of Yushan Energy.
Choose your newsletter by Renewables Now. Join for free!