•  
  •  
  •  

Neoen breaks ground on big Aussie wind-plus-battery project

Source: hornsdalepowerreserve.com.au

May 16 (Renewables Now) - France-based Neoen on Wednesday initiated construction on the Bulgana Green Power Hub (BGPH), a project combining 194 MW of wind farm capacity and 20MW/34MWh of energy storage in Victoria, Australia.

To be located near the town of Stawell, the complex will use turbines by Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy SA (BME:SGRE) and batteries by Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA). French renewable energy company Neoen expects to complete construction in August 2019. It estimates that the AUD-350-million (USD 262m/EUR 221m) project will open up to 230 jobs during the construction phase.

The annual power output of the wind-plus-storage complex is estimated at 740 GWh. It already has in place a 10-year power purchase agreement (PPA) to supply up to 15% of the generated electricity to Nectar Farms’s glasshouse facility, while the remaining 85% will go to the grid under a 15-year Support Agreement with the State Government of Victoria. The scheme comes to support the Victorian Renewable Energy Target (VRET) under which the state aims to reach a 40% renewables share by 2025.

In relation to the project, Neoen said it will soon launch a community fund of AUD 120,000 per year. It will be open for 25 years and will provide financial support to community projects in the Northern Grampians region.

The French company owns a similar wind-plus-storage facility in the state of South Australia -- the Hornsdale Power Reserve, which consists of a 315-MW wind farm and a 100MW/129MWh lithium ion battery by Tesla.

(AUD 1.0 = USD 0.749/EUR 0.632)

More stories to explore
Share this story
Tags
About the author
Browse all articles from Veselina Petrova

Veselina Petrova is one of SeeNews Renewables most experienced green energy writers. For several years she has been keeping track of game-changing events both large and small projects and across the globe.

More articles by the author
5 / 5 free articles left this month
Get 5 more for free Sign up for Basic subscription
Get full access Sign up for Premium subscription