January 26 (Renewables Now) - The 100-MW Kipeto wind farm in Kajiado, Kenya has been connected to the grid and will now be gradually brought online, Kipeto Energy Plc announced.
BioTherm Energy, backed by London-based private equity firm Actis, holds 88% in the project company, while the remaining 12% are owned by Kenyan firm Craftskills.
The Kipeto achieved financial close at the end of 2018 and soon after that entered construction. GE Renewable Energy supplied its GE 1.7-103 turbines for the project and China Machinery Engineering Corp served as the engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contractor.
A transmission line of 17 km connects the 60-turbine park to the Isinya substation. The facility will undergo commercial tests over the next few months, before reaching full operations.
The wind farm will be selling its output under a 20-year power purchase agreement (PPA) with Kenya Power and Lighting (KPLC), signed back in 2016.