Hitachi ABB Power Grids offers transformers for floating wind
Image by Hitachi ABB Power Grids Ltd
Hitachi ABB Power Grids Ltd on Monday announced the launch of a portfolio of transformers for offshore floating use.
The portfolio includes a range of collector step-up transformers, earthing transformers and shunt reactors for floating substations, as well as transformers for floating wind turbines, including the WindSTAR product. It has been developed in partnership with floating offshore developers.
While floating substations and floating wind turbines can unlock the large offshore wind offshore potential in deeper waters, they present challenges such as being constantly in motion and being exposed to vibrations and shocks from high waves, the company explained.
"Floating electrical systems are an important development in the offshore renewable industry, that will open up tremendous opportunities for clean power," commented Bruno Melles, managing director of the transformers business at Hitachi ABB Power Grids.
The equipment comes with modular design that consists of specially designed active part, tank, tap changer, accessories and external components.
Hitachi ABB Power Grids is owned by Japan’s Hitachi Ltd (TYO:6501) with a 80.1% stake and Swiss-Swedish industrial group ABB (VTX:ABBN), which holds the remaining 19.9%.