Final turbine arrives at Hywind Scotland floating wind farm

Hywind Scotland. Source: Masdar

Aug 16 (Renewables Now) - The fifth and final turbine for the 30-MW Hywind Scotland floating offshore wind farm has arrived at the project site in Scotland, Masdar, Abu Dhabi's renewable energy company, said today.  

The five 6-MW Siemens Gamesa turbines were installed on their floating foundations in Stord on the west coast of Norway earlier this summer and were then towed to Scottish waters. Once each of the turbines arrived, work began to install anchor lines and perform hook-up operations. Final installation is expected to be completed in the coming weeks, Masdar said. The Abu Dhabi company owns a 25% stake in the GBP-210-million (USD 270m/EUR 230m) project, while Norwegian energy group Statoil (STO:STLO) holds the remaining 75%.

Bader Al Lamki, executive director, clean energy at Masdar, said that Hywind Scotland, the world's first commercial-scale floating offshore wind farm, represents the next stage in the evolution of the offshore wind industry.

(GBP 1 =  USD 1.287/EUR 1.097)

Join Renewables Now's free daily newsletter now!

More stories to explore
Share this story
About the author
Browse all articles from Plamena Tisheva

Plamena has been a UK-focused reporter for many years. As part of the Renewables Now team she is taking a keen interest in policy moves.

More articles by the author
5 / 5 free articles left this month
Get 5 more for free Sign up for Basic subscription
Get full access Sign up for Premium subscription