Equinix to offtake power from 53-MW wind farm in Finland

Wind park. Author: Santi Villamarín. License: Creative Commons, Attribution-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic.

July 22 (Renewables Now) - French renewable power producer Neoen SA (EPA:NEOEN) and project developer Prokon will supply electricity from at least 42 MW of wind capacity in Finland to Equinix Inc (NASDAQ:EQIX) to power its data centres in the Scandinavian country.

The three companies have signed a ten-year power purchase agreement (PPA) tied to the 53-MW Lumivaara wind park which is currently under development, Neoen said on Friday.

Subscribe for Renewables Now's Corporate PPA Newsletter here for free!

Under the deal, Equinix will procure 80% of the green power and associated guarantees of origin from the wind farm. Construction work on the project, which is located in the municipality of Hyrynsalmi, is due to begin in 2023, with commissioning scheduled for early 2025.

Neoen owns 80% of the project and partner Prokon holds the remaining 20%.

Equinix will use the contracted electricity to power five International Business Exchanges (IBX) data centres in Finland.

The deal is the second PPA between the three companies this year. In January, Equinix agreed to buy about 85% of the electricity produced by the 35-MW Björkliden wind farm in Finland.

More stories to explore
Share this story
Tags
 
About the author
5 / 5 free articles left this month
Get 5 more for free Sign up for Basic subscription
Get full access Sign up for Premium subscription
\