•  
  •  
  •  

EnBW breaks ground on Hohe See, Albatros wind farms off Germany

Offshore wind farm. Author: Beverley Goodwin. License: Creative Commons, Attribution 2.0 Generic

April 12 (Renewables Now) - German utility Energie Baden-Wuerttemberg AG (ETR:EBK), or EnBW, has initiated construction of its Hohe See and Albatros wind farms in the German North Sea, planned to have a combined capacity of 609 MW.

EnBW announced on Wednesday that the two plants’ 87 turbines will be able to generate around 2.5 billion kWh of electricity, which will be enough to meet the annual demand of all private homes in Munich. The 112-MW Albatros and 497-MW Hohe See offshore wind parks will be located near the island of Borkum, in immediate vicinity to one another, and are slated for commissioning by end-2019.

The plants will use a total of 87 SWT-7.0-154 turbines by Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy SA (BME:SGRE), which will also install the foundations and the transformer platform for Albatros. A tie-up between ENGIE Fabricom, Iemants NV and CG Holdings Belgium NV was hired to install the transformer platform for Hohe See project.

According to the construction schedule, the foundations and the transformer station for Hohe See will be installed this year, as well as the cables for the wind farm itself. The transformer station for the Albatros plant will be erected in 2019.

A service facility for the parks in the North Sea will become operational next year.

EnBW owns the two projects together with Canada's Enbridge Inc (TSE:ENB). EnBW holds a 50.1% stake in each scheme, while its partner owns the remaining 49.9%. The German company expects that more than 500 people will be working at the sites during peak construction.

“EnBW Hohe See and Albatros are together the largest offshore project currently being constructed in Germany”, said Dirk Guesewell, head of portfolio development at EnBW.

EnBW already operates the 48.3-MW Baltic 1 and 288-MW Baltic 2 wind farms in the Baltic Sea. The German firm last year secured a bid to build the 900-MW EnBW He Dreiht offshore wind farm without state subsidies following Germany's first offshore wind auction.

More stories to explore
Share this story
Tags
About the author
Browse all articles from Veselina Petrova

Veselina Petrova is one of SeeNews Renewables most experienced green energy writers. For several years she has been keeping track of game-changing events both large and small projects and across the globe.

More articles by the author
5 / 5 free articles left this month
Get 5 more for free Sign up for Basic subscription
Get full access Sign up for Premium subscription