July 25 (Renewables Now) - France’s supreme administrative court, Conseil d’Etat, has rejected all appeals against the EDF-led 498-MW Fecamp and 450-MW Courseulles-sur-Mer offshore wind projects in the English Channel.
French power utility EDF (EPA:EDF), through EDF Renewables, and its partners Enbridge Inc (TSE:ENB) of Canada and Germany’s Wpd AG plan to bring the two wind parks online in 2022. In a press release on Wednesday, EDF said that the appeals against the projects’ administrative permits to occupy publicly owned maritime zones are now dismissed and that project development will continue.
Once up and running, the Fecamp and Courseulles-sur-Mer offshore plants in Normandy are expected to produce enough power to meet the demand of almost 630,000 people annually, equal to over 90% of the Calvados department’s population, EDF said.
The three-party consortium won the projects, together with the 480-MW Saint-Nazaire scheme, in 2012 when the French government launched its first call for tenders in the offshore wind sector. Conseil d’Etat last month cleared the legal hurdles for Saint-Nazaire after turning down an appeal against the operating permit.
Earlier this week, Conseil d’Etat rejected appeals against the 500-MW Saint Brieuc wind project in French waters, led by Spain’s Iberdrola (BME:IBE).