•  
  •  
  •  

Belgium's 219-MW Northwester 2 offshore wind park feeds 1st power

The Northwester 2 offshore wind park. Image by: Parkwind.

January 14 (Renewables Now) - The first turbine at the 219-MW Northwester 2 offshore wind farm being built in Belgian waters has started exporting electricity to the country's power grid.

The first of 23 MHI Vestas turbines was brought live during the weekend, Belgian offshore wind developer Parkwind announced on Monday. The company owns 70% of the project, while the remaining 30% stake is held by Sumitomo Corp (TYO:8053) of Japan.

The wind farm, which will be equipped with MHI Vestas 164-9.5 MW turbines, is expected to be fully operational before this summer. Their output, expected to be around 800 GWh a year, will cover the power consumption of 230,000 households via transmission system operator Elia’s modular offshore grid. The electricity will be purchased by a unit of German energy group RWE AG (ETR:RWE) under a power purchase agreement (PPA) signed last February.

Parkwind is managing the wind farm’s construction and will also be responsible for its operation following completion.

More stories to explore
Share this story
Tags
 
About the author
Browse all articles from Veselina Petrova

Veselina Petrova is one of Renewables Now's most experienced green energy writers. For several years she has been keeping track of game-changing events both large and small projects and across the globe.

More articles by the author
5 / 5 free articles left this month
Get 5 more for free Sign up for Basic subscription
Get full access Sign up for Premium subscription