Acciona wins enviro permit for 923-MW wind project in Queensland

Acciona wind park.Image by Acciona (www.acciona.com)

March 1 (Renewables Now) - Spain’s Acciona SA (BME:ANA) today said it has secured environmental approval for its 923-MW MacIntyre wind project in Queensland, Australia.

With construction slated to begin in the second quarter of this year, the project is set to create Acciona Energia’s largest wind farm in Australia. The subsidiary of Spanish renewable energy and infrastructure group Acciona owns 70% of the AUD-1.7-billion (USD 1.23bn/EUR 1.1bn) scheme while Ark Energy Corp, a unit of Korean non-ferrous metals smelter Korea Zinc Co Ltd, holds the remaining 30%.

The MacIntyre wind farm is planned to be installed in Queensland’s Southern Downs region, consisting of 162 Nordex Delta4000 5.7-MW turbines. When commissioned, it will be capable of generating electricity for 620,000 homes. It will operate under a 10-year power purchase agreement (PPA) with CleanCo, Queensland’s publicly-owned utility, for 400 MW of the entire capacity. The plant will also supply electricity to Korea Zinc’s Australian subsidiary Sun Metals Corporation.

The huge wind park will form part of a larger complex with a total capacity of 1,026-MW, which will also encompass the 102.6-MW Karara wind development. The smaller plant will be built by Acciona and owned by CleanCo.

Development approval for the 1,026-MW project was issued by the Queensland government in April last year. The complex is scheduled to be up and running by 2024.

(AUD 1.0 = USD 0.725/EUR 0.647)

Join Renewables Now's free daily newsletter now!

More stories to explore
Share this story
Tags
 
About the author
Browse all articles from Veselina Petrova

Veselina Petrova is one of Renewables Now's most experienced green energy writers. For several years she has been keeping track of game-changing events both large and small projects and across the globe.

More articles by the author
5 / 5 free articles left this month
Get 5 more for free Sign up for Basic subscription
Get full access Sign up for Premium subscription
\