Spain's Iberdrola SA (BME:IBE) announced on Wednesday that its Brazilian arm Neoenergia SA (BVMF:NEOE3) has started the test operation of the first seven wind turbines of the 566.5-MW Oitis wind power complex.
The company said in a statement that test operations were initiated a month ahead of schedule. Full operation is set to start in the second half of 2022.
With 12 wind farms and a total of 103 turbines between the states of Piaui and Bahia, the Oitis complex will be the largest of its kind for Neoenergia in the country.
Once in full operation, Oitis will be able to meet the demand of a city with 2.7 million inhabitants. About 96% of the wind park's total installed capacity is planned to be sold in Brazil's free market, with the remaining 4% to be sold in the regulated market.
At present, Neoenergia has 1.7 GW of wind and solar capacity, operational or under construction, Iberdrola noted.