January 31 (Renewables Now) - France's Ecology Minister Segolene Royal today announced that 3 GW of onshore wind capacity will be tendered over the next three years.
From the start of 2017, France has changed the support mechanism for onshore wind. Smaller projects under 6 MW will continue to enjoy 20-year power purchase contracts with guaranteed premium payments over the market price. Larger projects of over 6 MW will have to compete in tenders.
Energy regulator Commission de Regulation de l'Energie (CRE) has already been tasked to prepare the schedule as well as set the terms and conditions for the tenders.
The first batch of capacity will be tendered at the start of November this year, the minister said. Two tenders per year will be held over the following two years.
The 3 GW onshore wind tenders are designed to help France reach its ambitious target to have between 21,800 MW and 26,000 MW od installed onshore wind power capacity by 2023.
Last year, France added 1.56 GW of new capacity, marking an impressive 45% year-on-year growth. French Wind Energy Association (FEE) said that annual deployment would need to grow to 2 GW soon to be able to achieve the high end of the 2023 target.