•  
  •  
  •  

Equinor, Masdar to share Hywind Scotland data via ORE Catapult platform

The Hywind Scotland floating wind farm. (Photo: Oyvind Gravas / Woldcam - Statoil ASA)

November 28 (Renewables Now) - The partners behind the 30-MW Hywind Scotland floating wind farm have made operational data from it available on Offshore Renewable Energy Catapult's data sharing platform.

Norwegian company Equinor ASA (NYSE:EQNR), formerly Statoil, which owns 75% of the power plant located off the coast of Peterhead in Aberdeenshire, announced the agreement on Thursday. Abu Dhabi Future Energy Company, better known as Masdar, owns the remaining 25% in the wind farm.

Thanks to the partnership with the UK research centre, subscribers of the Platform for Operational Data (POD) will have access to a pre-defined set of full-scale measurements from one of the wind farm's five turbines. The data will include environmental data, motions of the floating wind turbine and loads in the mooring system.

By making the information accessible, the partners hope to better engage industry, academia and the offshore wind supply chain in the UK and globally, to encourage collaboration and drive innovation in floating offshore wind, according to the statement.

Hywind Scotland, the world's first commercial-scale floating wind farm, was officially opened in October 2017.

More stories to explore
Share this story
Tags
 
About the author

Before joining Renewables Now, Alex was a UK-focused business news reporter. Now she is covering global news from the renewable energy industry with a special interest in M&A.

More articles by the author
5 / 5 free articles left this month
Get 5 more for free Sign up for Basic subscription
Get full access Sign up for Premium subscription