Downer EDI bags infrastructure job for 106.8-MW Aussie wind park of Vestas
Jul 16, 2013 - Australian firm Downer EDI Ltd (ASX:DOW) said Monday it had won a deal from Danish Vestas Wind Systems A/S (CPH:VWS) to carry out civil and electrical balance of plant infrastructure works at a 106.8-MW Taralga wind project in Australia.
The Taralga project is 90%-owned by Spanish commercial bank Banco Santander (MCE:SAN), which purchased the stake from Australian CBD Energy in September 2012. CBD Energy has the remaining 10% stake in the wind park and will be its operator, when completed. Vestas is the turbine supplier for the project, which is located in the state of New South Wales.
Earlier this month CBD Energy contracted infrastructure management services provider Downer EDI to build a 132-kV transmission line for the project, which is calling for a total investment of some AUD 280 million (USD 255m/EUR 195m). The value of the two orders that Downer EDI won is estimated at about AUD 65 million, it said.
Construction works at the Taralga wind project are planned to last 18 months, with commissioning of the 51-turbine facility to start in the third quarter of 2014. When up and running, it will generate about 290,000 MWh of power annually, enough to supply 45,000 households.
Veselina Petrova is one of Renewables Now's most experienced green energy writers. For several years she has been keeping track of game-changing events both large and small projects and across the globe.