Bulgaria's Gorna Arda hydro power project to start in mid-2014 - media
SOFIA (Bulgaria), August 27 (SeeNews) – The construction of a chain of hydro power plants on the upper stream of the Arda river in Bulgaria's south is expected to get underway in mid-2014, the state-run Bulgarian News Agency, BTA, reported on Tuesday, quoting the Kardzhali district governor.
Austria's EVN owns 70% of the project and Bulgaria's state-owned power utility NEK holds the remaining 30%.
The project foresees the construction of three hydropower plants with a total installed capacity of 174.2 megawatts and an average annual output of 4,400 gigawatt hours, as well as three dams, BTA reported.
The construction works are planned to take between three and a half and five years, creating some 2,500 jobs.