Albania's Integrated Technology Services to build waste-to-energy plant near Fier
Alessandro Giangiulio/CC BY 2.0
Albania's privately owned Integrated Technology Services will build a 3.8 billion leks ($29.7 million/27.7 million euro) waste-to-energy plant near the city of Fier under a contract with the environment ministry, the country's public procurement agency said.
The ministry picked the company's subsidiary Integrated Technology Waste Treatment Fier to build, operate and transfer the plant to the government under a six-year concession contract, the agency said in a statement earlier this week.
The company was the only bidder for the project.
Integrated Technology Services owns 70% of Integrated Technology Waste Treatment Fier. Building materials producer and construction company Ndertim Montimi Patos, whose secondary activity is waste transportation, holds the remaining 30%.
Integrated Technology Services operates in different sectors, such as calibration services of laboratories, software system programming and maintaining, wholesale and retail of industrial materials, telecommunications, construction, animal farming and others.
According to Albanian media reports, the waste-to-energy plant will be built near several villages in the municipality of Fier and their inhabitants believe the project is a health hazard. Since the end of October they have organised several protests against the plant's construction.