Acciona Energia kicks off works on 1.2 GW wind farm in Australia

MacIntyre wind farm illustration. Image source: Acciona Energia (www.acciona-energia.com)

May 9 (Renewables Now) - Spanish renewables pure-player Acciona Energia (BME:ANE) announced today that it has launched the construction of the 1,206-MW MacIntyre wind farm complex in Australia, which is set to become the country's largest power generating facility of this kind.

The project, accompanied with a AUD-2-billion (USD 1.4bn/EUR 1.3bn) investment, will result in two wind farms in Queensland -- the 923-MW MacIntyre and the 103-MW Karara.

Acciona Energia will build both wind farms but will only operate the MacIntyre section, where construction works just started. The Spanish company owns a 70% stake in MacIntyre, while Ark Energy Corp, a unit of Korean non-ferrous metals smelter Korea Zinc Co Ltd, holds the remaining 30%.

Queensland's publicly-owned clean energy company CleanCo owns the Karara portion of the project and will also be in charge of the wind farm’s operation.

The whole complex will feature 180 units of Nordex Delta 4000 wind turbines of 5.7 MW. Acciona Energia expects to be able to finalise construction works in 2024, thanks to a plan to accelerate the project that was put in place to make up for the delay caused by the Covid-19 pandemic and associated supply difficulties, the company said.

(AUD 1.0 = USD 0.699/EUR 0.663)

Join Renewables Now's free daily newsletter now!

More stories to explore
Share this story
Tags
 
About the author

Sladjana has significant experience as a Spain-focused business news reporter and is now diving deeper into the global renewable energy industry. She is the person to seek if you need information about Latin American renewables and the Spanish market.

More articles by the author
5 / 5 free articles left this month
Get 5 more for free Sign up for Basic subscription
Get full access Sign up for Premium subscription
\